Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Golden Oreo Cheesecake

The theme for the Crazy Cooking Challenge this month was cheesecake.  The themes are getting harder for me because they seem to be things that I've tried to make before and have failed majorly at making.  Last month's fried chicken challenge ended in me getting very frustrated and swearing off fried chicken ever again...which is pretty easy because I hate fried chicken in the first place.

Photobucket












This is now my third cheesecake "masterpiece".  The first one was for a recipe swap, and it turned out good, just nothing too exciting.  The second one was going good, and then I pulled it out of the oven and found a giant crack down the center of it.  This crack made some Grand Canyon crevasses seem small.  So, I guess this third one I didn't have too high of hopes for.  I figured I'd try to make something that sounded interesting, but if it didn't turn out, I'd just chalk it up to being something I'd always buy from the store, and never attempt at home again.

I loved the idea of an Oreo cheesecake, but a few months ago, my husband introduced me to Golden Oreos, which I love just as much as the chocolate ones. So, I decided to switch things up and use them in the cheesecake instead.  I found this recipe on blog that listed the blogger's favorite cheesecake recipe.  Bites of Sweetness has amazing pictures that make your mouth salivate even though you're a thousand miles away from her kitchen. 

Golden Oreo Cheesecake
barely adapted from Bites of Sweetness
Ingredients
1 package Oreo cookies, divided (any flavor)
1/3 cup of butter, melted
3 packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup of sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Finely crush about 20 cookies and coarsely chop about 10 cookies; set aside.
2) Mix finely crushed cooke crumbs and melted butter in a bowl.  Press into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
3) In a mixer, beat the cream cheese and sugar until creamy.
4) Add eggs one at a time and beat only until just incorporated.
5) Add sour cream and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
6) Fold in chopped cookies.
7) Spread mixture onto crust and bake for 55 to 60 minutes.
8) Place in the fridge and chill at least four hours, or overnight.

Chocolate glaze
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/8 cup sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1/8 cup corn syrup
4 1/2 squares of white baking chocolate, coarsely chopped

Directions
1) Place chocolate in a heat proof bowl.
2) Heat the cream, sugar, butter, and corn syrup in a small sauce pan over medium heat until just simmering.
3) Pour over chocoalte and mix until smooth. (The more you stir, the more it will thicken).
4) Pour over cheesecake and decorate the top as desired.





I liked the flavors of this cheesecake a lot.  I wish the oreos retained some of their crunch, but the flavor is still fantastic.  The blogger said that over-incorporating the eggs into the mixture causes cracks, and I just beat them in until incorporated and I still had cracks in the top of the cheesecake.  I guess that is what the chocolate glaze is for though.  This is a great change from the normal oreo cheesecake.


18 comments:

  1. This looks so good. I am one of the crazy people thats not a huge fan of normal oreos but I do enjoy the golden ones. This looks great.


    #30 ccc Triple Lemon Cheesecake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome! I've never strayed from the chocolate Oreo yet. I've tried all the chocolate varieties, but not Golden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great twist on a cheesecake. I wouldn't have thought to use Golden Oreos, but it looks yummy! Great CCC pick! I'm #16. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna, you did a fabulous job on this cheesecake! I hate to admit it but I think the golden oreos are better than the regular, now it they would only make them double stuffed! Never worry about a cracked top on a cheesecake, that is why most have a topping on them, to hide any little imperfections!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just gonna go ahead and say it - Golden Oreos are the BEST kind of Oreo :) This looks incredibly delicious!

    Stopping by from CCC #18 - I pinned, tweeted, stumbled, and FB'd your cheesecake :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great twist to use golden oreos! This looks great. I'd love for you to stop by - I'm #9 in the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Golden Oreos! Why didn't I think of this?!?! Thanks for sharing a yummy-looking recipe.
    Stopping by from CCC #35.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pictures and the recipe looks delicious. I'm pinning this and wish I could have a slice -- Oh, Soooooo good!

    Thanks for sharing, and would love it if you could stop by #68 CCC.

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man this looks awesome! I share your love of the Golden Oreo-it's fabulous. I'm pinning this for later!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Third time's the charm!!! Wow, this looks like a perfect cheesecake...and great twist to try Golden Oreos! #48

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks awesome and a glaze, fruit or whipped cream always take care of the cracks I get in my cakes so no one is the wiser.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my CCC entry: #6 Mini Cheesecake Bites.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good...very unique! Thanks for sharing! Sara

    ReplyDelete
  13. I commend you for trying cheesecake again! It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic cheesecake! I love that it's topped with oreo cookies!

    Stopping by from Crazy Cooking Challenge #59 – I pinned and tweeted your cheesecake!

    Amber
    http://thecookssister.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cheesecake looks fantastic. I have no had the golden oreos, so now I have a good excuse to buy them. Can't wait to make this!
    CCC #22

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH MY OH MY, I hate regular oreos but I LOVE golden oreos. Amazing!

    Thank you for being a part of the CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE. Watch for upcoming details about the next years challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jenna! Your cheesecake looks great...as do everyone else's! :)

    ReplyDelete