Sunday, November 20, 2011

Corn Chowder

Lately it has been chilly in Wyoming.  If it isn't low temperatures, it is the wind is blowing so hard that my ears hurt when I walk the dogs.  I decided that it was time to make soup for lunches at work.  That way I'd have something filling and warm without too much effort.

I don't remember ever having corn chowder, but for some reason making corn chowder sounded really good, so I found this recipe on one of my frequently visited blogs: A Taste of Home Cooking

Corn Chowder
slightly adapted from A Taste of Home Cooking
Ingredients
3 tablespoons butter
1 lb. bacon, diced
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup flour
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large package frozen corn, thawed
4-1/2 cups milk
1 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoon parsley, chopped
2 scallions, chopped
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup sour cream

Directions 
1) Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy and brown. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. 
2) To the remaining bacon fat, add butter, onion and garlic; sauté onion until it is clear. 
3) Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Stir until smooth. 
4) While stirring, gradually add milk and chicken broth. 
5) Add in potatoes, bacon and corn. Continue to heat over medium to low heat, stirring frequently until chowder has thickened and potatoes are cooked through about 40 minutes. 
5) Remove from heat. Whisk in grated cheese, sour cream, parsley and scallions. Stir until cheese has melted.  



This makes a TON of soup.  I think I'll have about six or seven meals left after I eat it this week for lunches.  I'll have to freeze some of it.  I do love the amount of corn that I get in each bite, and the potatoes make for a filling bowl of soup.  It is perfect for those chilly days.  I do think that next time I'll probably add more onions.  They kind of get lost behind the main players in the soup, and I think that having more might add a little more flavor.  This is an easy soup that is very tasty!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked it. Definitely freeze some in small portions for easy meals later. :)

    ReplyDelete