Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Frito Chili Pie

I remember watching my brothers play sports and eating frito chili pie from the concession stand when I was a kid.  It is perfect sports food, sloppy, but extremely delicious.  So, when the last games of the playoffs were coming up, I asked Jacob if he'd be up for some Frito Chili Pie and he said yes.  I have to say, it was the perfect meal for football.

Frito Chili Pie
adpated from The Pioneer Woman
Ingredients
2 pounds turkey
1/2 white onion
3 cloves garlic, minced 
1 can (12 To 14 Ounce) Tomato Sauce
1 can (10 Ounce) Ro-tel (diced Tomatoes And Chilies)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Ground Oregano
1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
1 tablespoon Cilantro
1 can (14-ounce) Kidney Beans, Drained And Rinsed
1 can (14-ounce) Pinto Beans, Drained And Rinsed
2 tablespoons Masa (corn Flour) Or Regular Corn Meal
Bag Of Fritos
Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Diced Green Onions (Optional)

Directions

1) Brown ground turkey with white onion and garlic.  Transfer to crock pot.
2) Add tomato sauce, Rotel, salt, oregano, cumin, and cilantro, cover and turn crockpot on high.  Let ingredients simmer in crockpot for about an hour.
3) Add drained and rinsed beans. Stir to combine, then cover and simmer for another hour.
4) Add the Masa to the chili. Stir to combine and simmer for a final 30 minutes. Set aside.

Serve over fritos. Pile in chili and cheese, and diced onion if using.

I haven't had chili in about ten years due to some food allergies, but I finally found some ingredients that would work.  Jacob said he usually doesn't eat chili with beans, but I thought it was great.  I don't know if there would have been enough substance to the chili without the beans.  The chili worked really well with the saltiness of the Fritos (I love Fritos).  I thought the green onions were a great burst of flavor with the chili, but the original recipe calls for red onion.  Just garnish it however you want, and you'll have an amazing football/sports meal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment