Friday, April 29, 2011

Bulgoki- Korean Beef BBQ

The theme for this Recipe Swap was Asian food.  My last experience with Asian food (Thai lettuce wraps) was a massive flop in my house, so I was looking for redemption from a bad meal.

I put together the marinade the night before.  The smells of the soy sauce and sesame oil quickly filled my kitchen.  Jacob came in and made a comment about how the marinade was a lot like the marinade for homemade beef jerky.  Which quickly scared me that the steaks would taste like warm beef jerky.  I let the flank steaks marinate over night in the mixture.

Jacob loved them.  He kept talking about how great the marinade was.  I thought they were good, just a little sweeter than I expected.  I did really like the addition of the green onion and the sesame seeds.  The seeds gave it that crunch, and the onion pieces offset the sweetness of the marinade.  I served it over a bed of rice, just something simple since I knew the marinade would be pretty strong.   I think this will definitely be a dish that will be made again.

Recipe from macau1ce on TheNest

  • 3-5lbs of flank steak or beef ribs
  • 12 oz soy sauce
  • 6 oz sesame oil
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • A splash or two of hot chili oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 bunches of scallions, sliced finely
  • 1/4 cup of toasted sesame seeds


Mix soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, chili oil, garlic, scallions, and sesame seeds together in medium bowl.
Combined with meat and let marinade for a few hours.
Grill and serve with white rice or with Lettuce as lettuce wraps.

No comments:

Post a Comment