Friday, July 8, 2011

Amish Style Yumasetta

My mom is an amazing cook.  I wish I was half as good as she is most of the time.  She used to make Yumasetta while I was growing up and we'd all beg her to make more the second the casserole dish was cleaned.  I developed a lot of food allergies in middle school and haven't been able to eat this since then, until I came up with my own spaghetti sauce (see the Tofu Parmesean blog).  So this week, I was finally able to make it again.



  • 2 lbs. Hamburger or Ground Turkey (I used turkey) 





  • 2 tbsp brown sugar





  • 1 chopped white onion





  • 1 (10 3/4 oz.) Can tomto soup, undiluted (I used my spaghetti sauce)





  • 1 (10 3/4 oz.) Can cream of chicken soup, undiluted





  • 1 (16 oz.) Package egg noodles





  • 1 (8 oz.) Package processed cheese, such as Kraft or Velveeta (I recommend Kraft Singles, but I used Velveeta)




  • Directions
    1. Brown hamburger with salt, pepper, brown sugar and onion.
    2. Add tomato mixture.
    3. Cook egg noodles according to package; Drain.
    4. Add cream of chicken soup to egg noodles.
    5. Layer hamburger mixture and noodle Mixture in 9x12" Casserole with processed cheese between layers.
    6. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.

    It isn't healthy, and I'm not claiming that, but it is amazing nonetheless.  My husband was skeptical, but ended up having three bowls, and I had to put the cover on the casserole dish and put it back in the fridge so that he would stop eating it.  I would use the Kraft singles just for consistency.  Our velveeta slices were a little inconsistant and even though it didn't affect the flavor, sometimes you mostly just got a bite of cheese. 

    This can easily be made ahead and frozen for a quick weeknight meal, you'd just have to adjust the cooking time.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment