Friday, September 7, 2012

Better Than Sex Cake

The theme of this recipe swap was desserts.  I was excited because I am definitely on a dessert kick, and I now find baking soothing.  It passes the time since I am new to New Jersey and still do not know many people.



My husband invited some people over for dinner, and since this recipe seemed really simple for a get together.  I wanted to make it so that I wouldn't spend all night in the kitchen, but instead getting to know the people that were coming over to the house.  It makes a 9 by 13 pan, and less than a third of the pan remained when the guests left that evening.  The guests absolutely loved it.

Better than Sex Cake
slightly adapted from Cheese Curd in Paradise
Ingredients
1 box chocolate cake mix (+ whatever it calls for on the back)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 jar caramel sauce (or hot fudge sauce)
1-8 oz container of cool whip
4 Heath Bars, crushed

Directions
1) Make and bake cake according to box directions. As soon as it comes out of the oven, poke holes with the handle of a wooden spoon all over the cake. 
2) Pour sweetened condensed milk over the top. Let cool completely. 
3) Next spread caramel over the cake, and put in the fridge to set. 
4) When it is cool, spread cool whip over the top and then top with crushed candy bars. Refrigerate leftovers. 


 I think this cake has all the perfect elements: crunchy, gooey, chocolatey.  It is hard to keep it in the fridge and not eat it.  Everything absorbs and makes this one of the most moist cakes that I've ever had.  The Better than Sex cake that I've had before had caramel instead of hot fudge, so I used that to try to cut down on the richness.  This is definitely a piece of cake that loves a glass of milk.


3 comments:

  1. Mmmm my mother-in-law introduced me to this cake when I first started dating my now DH. She used caramel topping as well and sometimes Butterfinger instead of Heath. I haven't had it in so long...think it's time to find an occasion to make this again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you liked it! It is so good.... The first time I made it I couldn't decide between the caramel and fudge...next time I will try the caramel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made something similar and it is absolutely yummy.
    Welcome to NJ!

    ReplyDelete