Monday, March 4, 2013

Secret Recipe Club: Carrot Cake Ice Cream

This is my second Secret Recipe Club blog swap. In the club, you are assigned someone's blog and you can make whatever you want. Click on the link and peruse the site to learn more about the recipes that have been posted and for rules about the club.



This month I was assigned Cheap Ethnic Eatz, which is written by Evelyne in Canada.  Evelyne has such a diverse collection of recipes, which I found incredible.  I have never been a super adventurous eater (it took me several years to warm up to the idea of sushi).  However, she has a great list of ice cream on her recipe index.  She has everything from White Asparagus Ice Cream to Strawberry Jam Balsamic Ice Cream.  One of the non-ice cream dishes that I'd love to make from Evelyne's blog is her Truffled Tomato Tarte Tatin.  Please head over to her blog to tour an amazing selection of food. 

I was obsessed with Evelyne's ice cream list.  Let's be honest,  I love most desserts. However, I am a self professing ice cream addict. I could eat a bowl every night and be in bliss. Cookies and cream? Yes! Give me a tub of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia Ice cream and I've died and gone to heaven. Milkshakes are even accepted too. Can you see a theme here?

I have always LOVED Carrot cake though, and the second that I laid eyes on the link in Evelyne's blog that said she had Carrot Cake Ice Cream, I knew that is what I had to make. 

Carrot Cake Ice Cream
barely modified from Cheap Ethnic Eatz
Ingredients
1 cup Carrot Juice
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar (less if you're using a Carrot flavored smoothie)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup can pineapple, drained and cut into small pieces
1/2 cup carrot, shredded
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 teaspoon orange zest  (I found orange peel in the spice section and used it)
1/2 teaspoon allspice

Directions:
Ice Cream Machine
1)  Put carrot smoothie and cream in ice cream machine and start the machine
2) Add the remaining ingredients
3) Follow ice cream machine instructions.
Hand made
1) Mix all the ingredients
2) Pour into a shallow container and freeze until solid around the outside and mushy in the middle
3) Stir with a fork and freeze until firm



This ice cream had more in it than any other ice cream that I've tried to make.  I think my ice cream maker clogged up at some points with all the additions, so I kept trying to stir it when I saw it happening.   This ice cream doesn't taste exactly like carrot cake ice cream, but it does have flavors that hint that direction.  I served it with cream cheese pound cake and it was a great combination.  One of my favorite carrot cakes that I've ever had, had a hint of orange in it, so I decided to add the orange peel/zest to the mix.  I can't wait to go out there and find other ice cream options that I have never considered before. 

23 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Such an unusual ice cream idea, and it looks totally delicious! Great color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pick! I'm all about oddball ice cream flavours, so this one practically shouted my name as soon as I spotted it in the SRC Linkie. :)
    I can see how all the additions would make it hard on the machine, though, but it definitely looks like it was worth the effort. Love the idea of pairing it with a cream cheese pound cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have never thought of carrot cake ice cream. Neat choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw the title on the thumbnail I knew you had me lol. Nice to meet another ice cream fanatic. Glad you gave this a shot, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I just say WOW! great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This ice cream sounds so delicious and rich! And what a pretty happy color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delicious treat and I know we would love ice cream that tastes like carrot cake...just wonderful.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry Loaded Potato Soup.

    Lisa~~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yet another reason why I need the ice cream attachment for my Kitchenaide - this recipe looks fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jenna,
    This is a awesome recipe and very different. We make a lot of Ice Cream in the summer and I will sure be giving this recipe a try. Thanks for sharing and have a good week.
    Visiting from Group B SRC
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vegetable ice creams just sound weird, but carrot CAKE ice cream seems inspired. What a fun, tempting concept.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds so awesome! If things were clogging up, I would try adding the pineapple and raisins (and maybe the cococnut/shredded carrot) in the last few minutes of churning. I normally see mix-ins being added at that stage and it might go a little easier that way. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carrot cake in ice cream form? That is amazing! I need to add this to my must-make list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love ice cream all year long, though I usually don't dust off the ice cream machine until the summer. This is bookmarked for then. Nice job for the SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  14. even though it's snowing now, i could totally go for some ice cream now, especially if it's carrot cake! how yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I heart carrot cake-- and would love to try it in ice cream form! yay for src :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, love ice cream, love making new flavors. Would not have thought of carrot cake, but just might have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds really interesting! I'm wondering what Grumpy would think since Carrot Cake is his favorite flavor cake too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an interesting recipe! The color is gorgeous and I bet it's pretty tasty too. Great choice for this month's SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OKAY!! Hubs favorite desert is carrot cake and he eats ice cream EVERY nite. Combining these two is PERFECT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing combination. Looks so creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How in the world did I miss this delectable ice cream on reveal day?? I love carrot cake and I've never had it in ice cream form but I'm all about making frozen treats lately so this needs to happen in our kitchen. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I need to get that ice cream maker out. This sounds really very good. Nice to meet you through SRC

    ReplyDelete