I have to admit that I see sprinkles on about the same level that I see glitter. They just get EVERYWHERE when you're trying to use them. While it makes your stuff pretty, it usually isn't worth the hassle of cleaning little beads up for the next few months.
Since sprinkles are something that I loved as a kid...I decided to try to find something to bake that reminded me of being a kid. While searching, I found these S'More Peanut Butter Cookies. I LOVED S'Mores when I was a kid. So why not combine s'mores with sprinkles and have the most fun cookies around.
S'More Peanut Butter Cookies
as seen on Sally's Baking Addiction
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour
12 large marshmallows, cut in half
8 oz melting chocolate (such as Baker's)
1) In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together on medium speed. Mix in the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla (in that order). Scrape down the sides as needed. Slowly mix in the baking soda and flour. Do not overmix. Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes.
2) Roll 1.5 Tablespoons of dough into a ball. Place onto ungreased cookie sheet or silicone baking mat. Bake for 7 minutes.
3) Remove from oven and place marshmallow on top, gently pressing it down into the warm cookie. Place back into the oven for 2-3 more minutes so the marshmallow can melt and the cookie can finish baking.
4) Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
5) As the cookies cool, melt chocolate according to package directions. Spoon about two teaspoons of chocolate on top of each marshmallow and swirl around with the back of the teaspoon. Top with sprinkles.
The only complaint that I have about these cookies is that some of the marshmallows completely disintegrated under the chocolate. The majority of them looked great, but some of them fell completely apart. Taste wise these aren't exactly like S'Mores, but they're so delicious. I actually love the little crunches that the sprinkles provide in the chocolate. It is a great contrast to the puff of the marshmallow and the soft peanut butter cookie. During this challenge, I learned that sprinkles aren't as bad as I thought they were...although a lot of them got all over my oven. I'll have to play more with the rest of the bottle that I have.
Thanks Jen for a great challenge!