Wednesday, May 16, 2012

BBQ Tilapia with Mango

Confession: I don't recall ever having mango.  It is one of those fruits that I've always been fascinated by at the grocery store, but I've never been adventurous enough to pick up and try it.

A few weeks ago, I was walking through the produce section at the grocery store and a couple stopped me and asked me the difference between leeks and kale.  It turns out the store had leeks labeled correctly in one bin and right next to it there were leeks in a bin labeled "Kale".  They had never tried it but were trying to be adventurous and try something new.

This experience for some reason pushed me to try mangos.  Last week, I saw them on sale, and decided to find a dish that had mango in it.

BBQ Tilapia with Mango
slightly adapted from Food Network
Ingredients
1/4 cup canned tomato sauce
2 tablespoons mango juice
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 teaspoons brown sugar (loosely packed)
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup diced tomatoes , (I used canned because I had extra)
1/4 cup diced mango
Two 4.5-ounce fillets raw tilapia
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, for garnish

Directions
1) In a medium bowl, combine tomato sauce, mango juice , ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, and garlic powder. Whisk thoroughly, and then stir in diced tomatoes and mango. 
2) Place fish and sauce in a container and toss to coat. Cover and let it marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. 
3) Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat on the stove. Add fish and marinade.  
4) Once marinade begins to simmer, cover and cook until the fish is tender and cooked through, about 10 minutes. 
5) Plate the tilapia and top with any excess marinade from the skillet; garnish with cilantro.



When I tasted the sauce after whisking all the ingredients, it resembled BBQ sauce, but between the marinating and the cooking, it just became a flavorful tomato sauce with mangoes in it.  So I guess BBQ Tilapia isn't the best name, but maybe I messed it up too. My husband really liked it and said that he liked the fruit and tomato combination with the fish.

I really like mangoes.  I think they taste great, and I love the smell of them.  I didn't realize the core was so big.  I didn't have any mango leftover between the juice and the 1/4 cup of diced mango.  Definitely going to look into more recipes involving mangoes though.

No comments:

Post a Comment