So when I got Simple Gourmet Cooking for the latest Blogger's Choice Swap, I went right to her dessert tag. I love German Chocolate Cake. I ask for someone to make it for me every birthday, so it seemed like a no-brainer to me. I also made the Beef Wellington Hand Pies, which were really good, and the BBQ Chicken Pasta. Dawn's blog is filled with a lot of great recipes, so head over there if you get a chance.
German Chocolate Cake Brownies
from Simple Gourmet Cooking
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
box of German chocolate cake mix
cup semisweet chocolate chips
container coconut pecan frosting
1) Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease or spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
2) In medium bowl, combine butter and cake mix and mix with a fork until crumbly; separate out 1 cup of mixture and set aside. Press the remaining mixture in bottom of pan.
3) Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over baked layer. Drop frosting by heaping tablespoonfuls over the chocolate chips and spread slightly.
4) Stir milk into reserved cake mixture. Drop cake-milk mixture by teaspoonfuls onto frosting layer.
5) Bake 24 to 28 minutes or until cake portion is slightly dry to touch; cool 10 minutes in the pan. Carefully loosen edges of bars with knife. Cool completely. Refrigerate until firm.
I loved these brownies. They were the classic German Chocolate cake flavors, in a much easier to eat form. They were so easy to put together too, which makes them even more fantastic. This was definitely my favorite thing out of a lot of good dishes that we tried from Dawn's blog.