Monday, August 5, 2013

Secret Recipe Club: Peach Mango Shrimp Quinoa

This month for Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned Food Ramblings.  Food Ramblings is written by Elizabeth, who writes to hold herself accountable to eating better, cooking more, getting in shape and losing weight by writing her blog. 

Secret Recipe Club


Elizabeth's blog has a lot of great recipes, such as:  French Onion Soup Casserole, Grilled Ratatouille Pasta, and Pretzel Salted Caramel Blondies.  I usually make dessert for the Secret Recipe Club challenges, but I recently started Weight Watchers, so I decided to try something a little more Weight Watcher friendly.  So even though the blondies kept calling my name, I decided to try this Peach Mango Shrimp Quinoa instead.  Drop by her blog to check out the amazing recipes, and if you try the blondies, please let me know if they are as amazing as they sound.

Peach Mango Shrimp Quinoa
from Food Ramblings
Ingredients
1 cup quinoa
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 pound frozen shrimp, tails removed, uncooked
2 cups peach-mango salsa

Directions
1) Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
2) At the same time, heat skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray. Add garlic and cook until starting to brown.  Add and cook onions and shrimp, until the shrimp is pink.  Add peach-mango salsa.
3) When quinoa is done, add to skillet and mix well.


 
While I loved the flavor of this dish, the salsa I used wasn't moist enough to be considered a sauce.  This left the whole dish feeling a little dry.  I did love that this dish was very easy to prepare on a weeknight.  I definitely want to try this dish again, but using some different salsa.



6 comments:

  1. What a lovely tropical sounding meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jenna,
    I have recently grown to love quinoa and this is a great way to use it.
    I got your blog this month and made your oatmeal smoothie.
    it was a great hit, thank you for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mango and prawns - such a perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great flavors but I could see the salsa not being enough, maybe double the amount?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love quinoa and this dish sounds wonderful! Love all the flavors going on here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see someone making savory food! Keep it up! (Not that I don't like dessert...)

    ReplyDelete