Thursday, February 9, 2012

BBQ Ranch Deviled Eggs

My mom makes deviled eggs all the time, and makes them seem super easy.  So, when Thanksgiving rolled around, it seemed like in order for it to be a traditional Thanksgiving, I had to make deviled eggs.  My husband was so excited because he loves them.  I started making regular deviled eggs on Thanksgiving morning, and it turned into a disaster: the eggs wouldn't peel without ripping huge chunks of egg flesh with them, the wet yolk mixture got everywhere and didn't really even taste that good, and they just looked horrible.  I vowed never to make them after that day again, telling my husband that he'd have to wait until we visited my parents to get them.

Here we are months later and I ran across this recipe for BBQ Ranch Deviled Eggs.  I thought they looked perfect for our Super Bowl party, so I told my husband that I would try them again.  He was ecstatic to say the least.  This batch was a hundred times better than the dreaded Thanksgiving set, and the best thing was is that people actually ate them this time around.

BBQ Ranch Deviled Eggs
adapted from Foodnetwork
Ingredients
8 large eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
4 tablespoons ranch dressing
3 tablespoons prepared BBQ sauce
2 green onions, finely chopped

Directions

1) Slice the eggs in half lengthwise, putting the yolks in a medium bowl and the whites on a platter. 
2) Use a fork to mash the yolks and mix in the mustard and ranch dressing. 
3) Place the yolk mixture into a sturdy resealable plastic bag, push into one corner, and cut off the tip to make a pastry bag. Pipe the yolk mixture into the whites. 
4) Drizzle the BBQ sauce over the eggs using a squeeze bottle. Sprinkle with the green onions and serve.



To me, you couldn't taste the ranch in these eggs, so I revised the recipe and took out the mayonnaise and let the ranch be the creamy element in the yolk mixture.  I set this platter out, and by the end of the first quarter they were gone.  People kept asking if I had more, and I didn't.  The BBQ sauce really is the star player in this recipe.  It changes the whole flavor profile of the deviled egg.  I think this recipe will be a staple for many football parties to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment