Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pork and Potato Hash

February is Potato Lovers Month.  I didn't know that until the next theme for the Recipe Swap was announced: potatoes.  When I searched through my blog to find a potato recipe to swap,  I decided that I should make something new and then swap that.  So, I set out on a hunt to find a potato recipe. 

The first thing that came to mind was hash, so I typed in hash, and this amazing picture popped up.  The picture looked so good that I thought I could actually smell the hash through my computer, so onto the menu plan it went.

Pork and Potato Hash
adapted from MyRecipes
Ingredients
12 ounces pork shoulder or butt
1 carton (32 ounces) reduced sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon rosemary
1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups (1/2-inch) cubed red potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons thinly diagonally sliced green onions

Directions
1) Place pork in the crockpot and pour chicken broth over the pork.  Season with rosemary, Italian seasoning, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper.  Place the crushed garlic into the broth mixture and let cook in the crockpot about six hours on low.
2) In a skillet, place a tablespoon of oil and place on medium-high heat.  Add the potato and chopped onion and cook until both potatoes and onions are tender.
3) Shred pork with kitchen utensils.
4) Plate potatoes and top with pork and green onions.  (The original recipe had an over easy egg on top, but we didn't include those).

The pork tasted amazing when it came out of the crockpot.  It was one of those foods that you want to just keep eating, but you hold yourself back because you know you're about to eat dinner.  The pork tasted great with the potatoes and the onions added some great flavor.  This is a fast, low calorie meal that was great.  This dish would not have been the same without the red potatoes, so I'm going to say that this is a great dish for Potato Lovers Month. 








No comments:

Post a Comment