Thursday, October 4, 2012

12 Weeks of Christmas Treats: Salted Caramel Brownies

One of my favorite things during the holiday season is a Starbucks Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate.  When it is cold outside, it warms you up and provides the comfort of chocolate with the great taste of caramel and that hint of salt. 


I ran across a recipe for Salted Caramel Brownies and knew that I had to make these for the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats.  What is better in the cold than hot chocolate and a salted caramel brownie?  Not much. 


12 Weeks of Christmas Treats is being hosted by Brenda from Meal Planning Magic.  Head to her blog to check out the details and how to join. 

Salted Caramel Brownies
brownie recipe from Food Network
salted caramel recipe from Pip & Ebby
Ingredients
Brownies
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Salted Caramel
2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
4 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup sour cream

Directions
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2) Stir together the sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs in a medium bowl. Add the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder all at once and stir until just combined.
3) Bake until the brownies begin to pull away from the edge of the pan and set in the center, 30 to 35 minutes.
4) For caramel, combine sugar, whipping cream, and corn syrup in a large sauce pan.  Set your heat to high and cook, stirring, until the mixture reaches 250 degrees. It took me about 20 minutes to reach this point.
5) When caramel reaches 250 degrees, stir in sea salt and sour cream.
6) Spread the caramel over the brownies and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt.
7) Chill until the caramel sets.


I loved these brownies.  I loved the crunch of the salt on top of the caramel.  Even after chilling mine, the caramel was still difficult (messy to get out of the pan, drooping down the brownie), but it was worth it because these are delicious.  They'd be a great accompaniment to the salted caramel hot chocolate. 






13 comments:

  1. I LOVE salted caramel anything! These look soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look decadent, I want one right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My new passion as of late has become anything with salted caramel. You have made my world of baking a better place now this recipe! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look dangerous - I'd eat the whole pan! Wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Messy or not, they look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The perfect brownies to eat directly from the pan, with a spoon! Chocolate and salted caramel is beyond good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM!! And now, I need to try that hot chocolate at Starbucks, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I could definitely eat the entire pan of these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just delicious. My family would love these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look like a winner...love the caramel dripping off!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sound amazing -- and I love your photo, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I didn't know about that Starbucks hot chocolate but these look wonderful so I will have to try them sometime soon myself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cute are you! I love your letter to Santa ;) You took brownies, which are already delicious, to a whole new leve.. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete