I've been spending more and more time on the Prevention, RD blog. I love reading about her and her dog Lily, whose relationship reminds me a lot of my relationship with my dog. She's also moving like I am, so I like to see where she's at in the moving stage compared to us (her move is going much more smoothly than mine is). I also love seeing her pictures and blog posts. I wish my food looked as appetizing as hers does. Maybe someday. I digress...let's get to the recipe.
slightly adapted from Prevention, RD
non-stick cooking spray
12 large eggs
1 1/2 cups 2% plain Greek yogurt, divided
1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup part-skim (2%) Mexican blend cheese, shredded
1/4 cup roasted red bell peppers, chopped
3 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 teaspoons hot sauce (we used green tabasco sauce)
18 (6-inch) flour tortillas
juice of 1/2 lime
1 teaspoon cumin
pico de gallo
1) Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray and set aside. (I forgot to spray my foil before I put them in and they were SUPER difficult to free from the foil...so this is an important step).
2) If you're roasting your pepper yourself, roast your pepper before you start messing with the eggs. We put ours on the grill until all the sides are red with black splotches, and then take it off and let it sit.
3) Crack eggs into large mixing bowl. Whisk in 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
4) Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and head over medium heat. When skillet is hot, add egg mixture to pan.
5) Using a rubber spatula, gently scrape bottom of pan and fold eggs over to scramble. Remove from heat when slightly undercooked. Add cheese, roasted red peppers, green onions, cilantro, and hot sauce to taste. Gently fold to combine.
5) Warm tortillas in microwave to ease rolling process. Working with a few tortillas at a time, place a scant 1/4 cup egg mixture into each tortilla and roll up into a cylinder. Place rolled tortillas on prepared baking sheet, seam-side down. When all tortillas are rolled and filled, lightly spray tops with cooking spray.
6) Bake for 15-18 minutes or until edges are golden brown and crisp.
7) While the taquitos are in the oven, combine remaining 1 cup Greek yogurt, lime juice, cumin, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Stir to combine and store in fridge.
8) Remove taquitos from oven , let cool for 5 minutes, and then serve with dipping sauce and any desired toppings.
I thought these were a fantastic breakfast. My husband said they were missing salsa, so he threw salsa on his, but I thought they were great the way they were. I liked that they incorporate bell peppers and green onions too, so they felt a little heartier than just normal eggs wrapped in a tortilla. I had never used Greek yogurt in eggs before, and I have to tell you that I'm a fan. I think it makes them lighter and fluffier than making them with milk. Definitely will have to make these again for breakfast sometime soon.