Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Breakfast Taquitos

When I wake up on Saturday, the first thing that crosses my mind is "What can we have for breakfast?".  I get tired of cereal and oatmeal during the week, so I use my weekends to make better breakfasts.  Sometimes my husband only wants egg sandwiches, but when I get the go ahead to make something else, I get excited.  Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right?

I've been spending more and more time on the Prevention, RD blog.  I love reading about her and her dog Lily, whose relationship reminds me a lot of my relationship with my dog.  She's also moving like I am, so I like to see where she's at in the moving stage compared to us (her move is going much more smoothly than mine is).  I also love seeing her pictures and blog posts.  I wish my food looked as appetizing as hers does.  Maybe someday.  I digress...let's get to the recipe.

Breakfast Taquitos
slightly adapted from Prevention, RD
Ingredients
non-stick cooking spray
12 large eggs
1 1/2 cups 2% plain Greek yogurt, divided
1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup part-skim (2%) Mexican blend cheese, shredded
1/4 cup roasted red bell peppers, chopped
3 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 teaspoons hot sauce (we used green tabasco sauce)
18 (6-inch) flour tortillas
juice of 1/2 lime
1 teaspoon cumin

Optional toppings:
salsa
pico de gallo
avocado

Directions
1) Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray and set aside. (I forgot to spray my foil before I put them in and they were SUPER difficult to free from the foil...so this is an important step).
2) If you're roasting your pepper yourself, roast your pepper before you start messing with the eggs. We put ours on the grill until all the sides are red with black splotches, and then take it off and let it sit. 
3) Crack eggs into large mixing bowl. Whisk in 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
4) Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and head over medium heat. When skillet is hot, add egg mixture to pan.
5) Using a rubber spatula, gently scrape bottom of pan and fold eggs over to scramble. Remove from heat when slightly undercooked. Add cheese, roasted red peppers, green onions, cilantro, and hot sauce to taste. Gently fold to combine.
5) Warm tortillas in microwave to ease rolling process. Working with a few tortillas at a time, place a scant 1/4 cup egg mixture into each tortilla and roll up into a cylinder. Place rolled tortillas on prepared baking sheet, seam-side down. When all tortillas are rolled and filled, lightly spray tops with cooking spray.
6) Bake for 15-18 minutes or until edges are golden brown and crisp.
7) While the taquitos are in the oven, combine remaining 1 cup Greek yogurt, lime juice, cumin, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Stir to combine and store in fridge.
8) Remove taquitos from oven , let cool for 5 minutes, and then serve with dipping sauce and any desired toppings.

I thought these were a fantastic breakfast.  My husband said they were missing salsa, so he threw salsa on his, but I thought they were great the way they were.  I liked that they incorporate bell peppers and green onions too, so they felt a little heartier than just normal eggs wrapped in a tortilla.  I had never used Greek yogurt in eggs before, and I have to tell you that I'm a fan.  I think it makes them lighter and fluffier than making them with milk.  Definitely will have to make these again for breakfast sometime soon.




2 comments:

  1. Oh, Jenna. I am a hot mess, don't let me fool you! I am SORE from cleaning yesterday because we have a showing tomorrow. Ugh. C'est la vie, right? :) I love that you love Lily! I know I'm a crazy dog mom (reason #25871) because I love when people love my dog :)

    I'm also glad you enjoyed these breakfast taquitos! Greek yogurt in most things = delish! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully your showing goes well! And I'm starting to realize that Greek yogurt makes things really good. Need to find more recipes to use it in. :)

      Delete