Friday, June 15, 2012

Shrimp, Black Bean, and Pineapple Foil Packets


Shrimp is one of those foods that I try to stay away from.  They seem like the "perfect" stage only lasts for short window and then they are overdone.  Plus, they are so expensive, that I feel if I mess up, I will have wasted a lot of money.  I saw this foil packet recipe awhile ago and pinned it on Pinterest.  When we received our Blogger's Choice recipe swap where we could make anything, I kept gravitating towards this foil packet recipe, and Chicken and White BBQ Potatoes.  I made them both, but decided for the swap, I'd share the one that my husband "ooh"ed and "aah"ed over. :)

Shrimp, Black Bean, and Pineapple Foil Packets
slightly modified from Prevention, RD
Ingredients
8 oz raw, medium sized shrimp (peeled, deveined)
1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup pineapple, finely chopped
1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/2-1 jalapeno pepper, minced (depending on the amount of spice you want)
2 tablespoons pineapple juice, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
pinch of salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/2 avocado, diced

Directions:
1) Preheat grill to medium.
2) Rinse the shrimp and pat dry. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Set aside.
3) In a medium bowl, combine the black beans, pineapple, red onion, and jalapeno. Stir in 1 tablespoon pineapple juice, coriander, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin.
4) Spray two large pieces of aluminum foil with cooking spray. Spoon half of the black bean mixture into the center of each and top with half of the shrimp. Pour the remaining pineapple juice over the shrimp. Bring the edges of the foil together and fold down, sealing well.
5) Place the foil packets on the grill, cover, and cook for 10-12 minutes, until shrimp are opaque.
Carefully open the foil packets and stir the contents. Top with the diced avocado and sprinkle with cilantro.



My husband kept talking about how much flavor these packets had.  I guess he was a little surprised, haha.  I thought they were amazing as well.  The shrimp were actually perfect, and so was the avocado (my avocados are never perfect).  So this turned out to be a very successful meal. 

I found out in the middle of making this that I didn't have lime juice, so just substituted the pineapple juice.  I put 1/4 of a jalapeno in each packet because Jacob isn't a fan of jalapeno spice, but I found that it definitely needs more than that, because it got lost in all the other flavors.  I also would have added more onion because those got a little lost too.  But definitely will eat these on days where it is too hot to turn on the oven, but we don't want something too heavy from the grill. 

5 comments:

  1. Good pick! I'm so glad you BOTH enjoyed this meal! As soon as we're settled, these are on my menu. I miss my grill!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me a recipe that makes it easy not to fail!
    These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shrimp can be kind of intimidating to cook the first few times, but once you realize how delicious shrimp cooked at home is, you're hooked! I also had my eye on these after Nicole posted them. Excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound delicious!! I love shrimp and you can't go wrong with pineapple and black beans.

    Thanks for being part of the recipe swaps!

    ReplyDelete