Friday, June 22, 2012

Corn Muffins with Bacon, Cheddar, and Scallions

I bought my mom the America's Test Kitchen Cookbook for Mother's Day.  She loves to cook, and I think her making 99% of our meals growing up, inspired me to want to be able to provide that kind of food for my family.


I bought the same cookbook, so we decided that we'd make the same recipe within the same week and see how we liked them.  So like a little family recipe swap.  It's fun, so hopefully we keep it up.

Corn Muffins with Bacon, Cheddar and Scallions
from America's Test Kitchen Cookbook
Ingredients
3 slices bacon (chopped fine)
5 scallions (sliced thin)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick of unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
2 eggs
2 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese

 Directions
1)  Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 400°.

2) Grease a 12-cup muffin tin.

3) Fry the bacon in a small skillet over med-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes.   Transfer to a paper-towel line plate; let cool.

4) In a bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.



5) In another bowl, whisk the sour cream, milk, sugar, melted butter, and eggs together until combined.
6) Gently fold the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture with a spatula until just combined (don't overmix).
7) Gently fold in the bacon mixture and 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese.
8) Portion the batter into each muffin cup.
9) Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar over the tops of the muffins.
10) Bake until golden brown ~15-20 minutes.


I am trying to use up what I have in my fridge/freezer since we're about to move, so I used Honey Maple Bacon that we had.  I think the flavor on the bacon messed up the flavors of the corn muffin, but I think they'd be absolutely delicious with just regular bacon.  I ate these for breakfast and they were hearty enough to keep me full until lunch.  My mom said they really liked theirs too and that my little brother said they were awesome.












 





No comments:

Post a Comment