Friday, July 27, 2012

Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos

I can't believe that I haven't posted in two weeks.  Time flies when you're moving.  In the last two weeks, I have moved from Cheyenne, WY to a base in New Jersey.  I did all the driving in two days and now have been trying to set up our house.  I promise that blog updates will happen more frequently now that we're getting situated.  Plus, I'm reunited with my husband (aka the taste tester), so I'm not eating leftovers for five nights in a row.

During my move, I decided to take on a recipe swap.  Genius, right?  Well, I thought it was nice because it was an open ended swap where I could tackle any recipe from What's Cookin' Chicago?.  It helped take away the thinking of what I should make when getting to a new place since all of the recipes are so amazing.

While I was at my parents for a few days, I made Cuban sandwiches from her blog, which were amazing.  I found a pork marinade that made such amazing pork, that I'm sure I'll use it for all my pork recipes in the future.  Definitely check out that recipe on her blog when you have a second since I didn't have time to take pictures.  They were definitely loved by everyone in my family.

When I got to New Jersey, I decided that I was going to make Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos because they seemed easy and we both love cilantro, so I thought it was perfect.  I also made Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf, but made it too late to include it in this post.  Head over to What's Cookin' Chicago? to find some fantastic recipes that your whole family will devour.

Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos
barely adapted from What's Cookin' Chicago?
Ingredients
cooking spray for sauteeing
2-3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in bite sized pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
flour corn tortillas
taco garnishes (salsa, sour cream, cheese, etc)

Cilantro Lime Pesto
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves (do not include stems)
2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sliced, toasted almonds
3 tablespoons chopped, fresh garlic
1 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup chicken broth

Directions
1) Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
2) In a skillet sprayed with cooking spray, saute chicken over medium high heat and cook through.
3) Using a blender, mix together the cilantro, olive oil, almonds, garlic, lime juice, parmesan, salt and chicken broth on low speed for 2 minutes.
4) Toss cooked, seasoned chicken with the pesto. Fill tortillas with chicken and top with preferred garnishes.


To say that we loved these tacos would be an understatement.  My husband inhaled four of them, and said that he would've kept eating them if he could.  He's still talking about them several days later too.  The pesto was a great way to pack a lot of flavor in a great sauce.  We'll definitely have to put these on rotation again for our next taco night.

No comments:

Post a Comment