Monday, July 9, 2012

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms With Roasted Tomatoes and Goat Cheese

On Pinterest, I have quite a few vegetarian meals hiding away for the days that my husband and I are not together.  Most of them involve portobello mushrooms and eggplant because he doesn't like them and I think he cringes if I even mention making them.

Well, our move has begun and he is now in New Jersey while I finish up working and cleaning up the house in Wyoming.  Cooking supplies are limited, and every time that I go to look for something in my kitchen, I'm reminded that the packers put most everything in a box that is now probably somewhere in Indiana. 

Enter this stuffed mushroom recipe.  All you really need is a baking sheet and foil.  I definitely had those in my kitchen.  The ingredients are so light and easy that it almost made me forget about all those greasy hamburgers I'll eat on the road to get to New Jersey.

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Roasted Tomatoes and Goat Cheese
slightly adapted from A Food Centric Life
Ingredients
Roasted Tomatoes
12-16 ounces grape tomatoes, halved
1 tablespoons (14 ml) olive oil
2-3 large garlic cloves, finely minced or squished through a garlic press
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1) Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Cover a quarter sheet or half sheet rimmed baking sheet with parchment or foil.
2) Toss halved tomatoes with oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Spread tomatoes on the baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes until shriveled and edges are just starting to turn a bit brown. 

Portobello Caps
4 large Portobello mushrooms, any size (my store only had the medium sized caps)
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 ounces of plain goat cheese
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
2 teaspoons fresh thyme 

Directions
1)  While the tomatoes are roasting, clean the mushrooms by wiping the outside of the caps with a damp paper towel. Pop out the stems by pushing them from side to side until the snap out. Then with a teaspoon, scrape the gills out until the underside is mostly clean. Place them on a foil lined rimmed baking sheet.
2) Brush mushroom caps inside and out with olive oil.  Sprinkle each cap with salt and pepper.
3)  After tomatoes are done roasting, preheat broiler.  Broil mushrooms 3 to 5 minutes, or until they are hot and the edges start to brown.
4) Remove caps from the oven, and preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Fill caps with the roasted tomatoes, and dot with goat cheese.  Sprinkle with fresh herbs.
5) Bake for 12 minutes or until hot and the cheese has softened.


These mushrooms are fantastic.  I loved the acid from the tomatoes against the strong taste of the goat cheese.  I think these made a great dinner, but I think they'd also make a great party appetizer in the button portobellos as well.  These will definitely go on the list of things to make again when my husband is out of town.




No comments:

Post a Comment