While I was making this meal, I started snacking on leftover tomato slices with the avocado. I have to say that I think I almost spoiled my dinner. I guess there are definitely worse things to be snacking on though!
Hummus and Avocado Toasts with Roasted Tomatoes
adapted from Everything Fabulous
2 tomatoes, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
1 eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
salt + pepper to taste
6-8 slices of bread
1/2 cup hummus (I used Roasted Garlic)
1 avocado-pitted and smashed
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2) Arrange the tomatoes and eggplant on a baking sheet, cut sides up, in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
3) Roast for 15-20 minutes, until the tomatoes are beginning to caramelize
4) Season avocado mash with garlic salt.
5) Toast bread either under broiler or in the toaster.
6) Layer the goat cheese, hummus, avocado mash, eggplant, and tomatoes
The only complaint that I had with this meal is that I couldn't taste the balsamic vinegar on the tomatoes. I love the flavor of balsamic vinegar though, so maybe I just needed stronger flavors. I loved the roasted flavor on the eggplant and the tomatoes. I thought everything went together really well. If you want to make this a non-vegetarian meal, I think it would be great with some grilled chicken. I also think alfalfa sprouts would make a great addition to the vegetarian version.