Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Chicken with Creamy Chive Sauce

I have been going through a huge cooking slump this month.  When I get home from work, nothing that I've meal planned sounds good and my lack of enthusiasm usually translates into me not enjoying the meal once it's made.

This is the first meal that I've found in the past two weeks that I was truly excited to make.  I put it on the meal plan for last week, but a busy weekend pushed it to this week.  Jacob and I both love mustard, so I figured that maybe with the dijon taste it wouldn't taste healthy and I could pass it off as just a great tasting dinner.

Chicken with Creamy Chive Sauce
adapted from  from EatingWell, found on Gourmet: Day to Day
Ingredients

  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (about 1 pound), trimmed of fat
  • 1 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
  • 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 3 stalks of green onions
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 14-ounces reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup greek yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 cup chopped chives, (about 1 bunch)

  • Directions
    1)  Place chicken between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, about 1/2 inch. Season both sides of the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place 1/4 cup flour in a shallow glass baking dish and mix in italian seasoning with a fork.  Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, discarding the excess flour.
    2)  Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm.
    3)  Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add green onions and cook, stirring constantly and scraping up any browned bits, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon flour; stir to coat. Add wine, broth and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil, stirring often.
    4)  Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until heated through and no longer pink in the center, about 6 minutes. Stir in greek yogurt and mustard until smooth; turn the chicken to coat with the sauce. Top with chives and serve immediately.



    When I was cooking, Jacob thought I was making chicken fried steak and so he was a little sad when he found out that he had guessed wrong.  However, the first thing that came out of his mouth when he ate it was,"This is really good."...so I knew it was a success (and he wasn't thinking about chicken fried steak anymore). 

    I absolutely love sour cream, but I had a big tub of greek yogurt to use up, and when I was eating it, I thought that it tasted fantastic and didn't miss the sour cream.  I also cannot find shallots in my town, so I substituted onions that I had on hand, although I thought that red onions might just come off too strong and overpower the other flavors.  The chicken itself was moist and the seasoning in the flour came through with just a little extra bit of flavoring.  This was a fantastic dish, and definitely didn't taste like it came from a healty eating website.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment