Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Avocado, Tomato, and Alfalfa Sprouts

When I was in college, there was an amazing sandwich shop on campus that served a sandwich that I loved that was loaded with all this stuff and 'Alfalfa sprouts'.  Every time I'd order this sandwich, I'd order it without the sprouts. 

I graduated and moved to a different town, and there was another sandwich at a new shop that I loved with sprouts on it.  I made the comment to a friend that I never ordered sprouts on a sandwich, but then realized that I was turning my nose up at a food that I had never tried before.  So one day, I was brave and ordered the sandwich the way it normally came, with sprouts.  I have to say that at first I had a texture problem with them since they are a little stringy, but they have this great earthy flavor and provide a great crunch to whatever they're in. 

I found a very simple sandwich on the Skinnytaste.com website.  I thought the few ingredients that were on it, sounded amazing together, and a little lightbulb went off in my head that said it may be even more amazing with sprouts...and it was. 

Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Avocado, Tomato, and Alfalfa Sprouts
adapted from Skinnytaste
Ingredients
Ciabatta
1 mashed avocado (I mixed in 1 teaspoon of mayo to make it more of a spread)
2 oz chicken breast/sandwich
2 slices ripe tomatoes/sandwich
salt and fresh pepper to taste
Alfalfa Sprouts
1 piece of pepperjack/sandwich (optional)
4 ounces of wine (optional)

Directions
1)  Grill chicken on the grill.  One time we ate it just plain grilled chicken, and one time, my husband injected a little bit of white wine into the chicken so that it didn't dry out.  It just took a few ounces injected into each chicken breast.  Both versions tasted great, the wine version just didn't dry out as much.
2) When the chicken is almost done, grill the ciabatta bread for just a few minutes so that it is toasted.
3) Cut the chicken into chunks.
4) Spread the avocado mixture and top with all of the other ingredients.


This sandwich was amazing.  Don't forget the salt and pepper step because if you miss it, the flavor is completely different.  The warm bread was slightly crunchy on the outside but soft and pillowy on the inside.  The chicken was moist and the grill flavor made it perfect with all the other components.  The tomato provided just the right amount of acid, and the sprouts just the right amount of crunch.  The cheese provided just a little bit of spice, which I like on sandwiches, but it could easily be changed for another type of cheese or completely omitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment