Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Smashed Red Potatoes

I don't actually sit down and watch too many cooking shows where the host actually is making a meal.  I usually lose interest about ten minutes in and just tell myself that I'll look the recipe up online. 

5 Ingredient Fix is on while I am at home for lunch though and I often get sucked into her delicious sounding, few ingredient meals.  One day, she was talking about roasting potatoes and then smashing them with a potato masher.  Around this point, I lost interest and told myself that I'd look up the recipe later.
While meal planning, I ran into Gourmet: Day to Day's Crash Hot Potatoes, and thought that it was the perfect recipe to try the 5 Ingredient Fix technique on.

Smashed Red Potatoes
adapted from Gourmet Day to Day and 5 Ingredient Fix
Ingredients
  • 8 small red potatoes (make sure they are around the same size so they cook at the same time)
  • 3 tablespoons of olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 tablespoons of chives
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • parmesean cheese
Directions
1)  Preheat oven to 450 degrees. 
2)  Place the potatoes on a sheet pan, pour 3/4 cup water over the potatoes and cover tightly with foil. Bake on the bottom rack until tender, about 30 minutes (this is about an hour if you live at high altitude). Remove from the oven, drain any remaining water.
3) With a potato masher, gently press down on each potato until it slightly mashes. 
4) Drizzle each potato with olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper, chives, and parmesean cheese.  Place a little pat of butter atop each potato and place back into the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and butter is melted.






I served these with the Chicken with Creamy Chive Sauce.  I loved the potatoes, but they took a long time in the oven.  Jacob said they weren't worth the effort, but I think that it was just because we were both so hungry and it took an hour just for the potatos to roast.  I think that the potatoes are a great side though and are fantastic if you 1) don't live at altitude 2) have the time to make them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment