Thursday, October 27, 2011

Salmon with Lemon Compound Butter

I used to be afraid of recipes that used words like compound butter because I thought it meant something super complicated that I didn't know how to do.   I didn't even click on recipes that I was searching through if I saw 'compound'.  Now, I realize I scared myself out of some very good recipes.

I realized that most of our recipes have heavier flavors to them (honey mustard, BBQ), so when I found this recipe that used butter, dill, and lemon I thought it would be a good thing for us to try. 


Salmon with Lemon Compound Butter
from Food Network

Ingredients
1 stick butter, room temperature
2 lemons, zested
1 tablespoon dill 
1 tablespoon thyme (or lemon thyme)
1 small clove garlic, smashed and finely chopped
Kosher salt
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
Extra-virgin olive oil

Directions
1) In a small bowl, combine the butter, zest, herbs and garlic. Mix until everything is well mixed. Season, to taste, with salt. If using right away, keep the butter at room temperature. If making ahead, reserve in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before using.

2) Preheat grill to medium. (I used my panini maker since it was snowing like crazy)

3) Remove the salmon from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature. Season with salt and coat with olive oil.
4) Brush and oil the grill. Place the salmon, skin side down, on the clean, preheated grill. After 2 to 3 minutes, rotate the salmon 90 degrees to create cross-hatch grill marks on the salmon skin. Cook the salmon for another 3 to 4 minutes.
5) Turn the salmon over and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the grill and top with the room temperature compound butter. 


I thought that this salmon recipe created one of the best salmon meals that I have ever eaten.  I loved the compound butter.  You had the creamy butter flavor with the intense lemon flavor from the lemon zest.  I'm not a huge fan of dill, but in the recipe, it was just the right balance without being overwhelming.  This is a great meal, and leaves you feeling full but not overly full.


1 comment:

  1. I love salmon, and something like this butter looks like it would be amazing with it!
    Thanks for posting such a great recipe, and I hope you have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete