Monday, February 11, 2013

Chipotle Aioli Deviled Eggs

My first attempt at Deviled Eggs was a complete and utter disaster.  I spent at least an hour over my kitchen sink trying to gently peel the eggshell of the egg, but getting chunks of egg flesh on each piece of shell.  My mom makes amazing deviled eggs and I was hoping to follow in her steps, but I just remember being so frustrated that I swore no more deviled eggs would grace my table.

After that experience I talked to A LOT of people about deviled eggs.  How did they boil them, what kind of eggs did they use, did they rinse them or just let them cool on their own...etc.  A lot of talk about something that shouldn't be complicated...right?

Well, learned that everyone does eggs differently, and heard that everyone had their own horrendous egg peeling experience.  So, I definitely wasn't alone.  So now, I try to find a different deviled egg recipe every time I try.  I served these on Super Bowl Sunday and they were the easiest thing on my menu to make.

Chipotle Aioli Deviled Eggs
barely adapted from SteakNPotatoesKindGurl
Ingredients
Eggs and filling
8 Hard boiled eggs
4 tablespooons Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon salt

Chipotle Aioli
½ cup mayonnaise
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 large Adobo chili
Salt and pepper


Directions:
1) Hard boil the eight eggs and let cool to room temperature. Cut in half lengthwise and remove the yolk. Place into a bowl and break up with a fork until lumps are gone. Add the mayonnaise, mustard and salt. Whisk with a fork until creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Chill for one hour.
2) Add all of the aioli ingredients into a food processor until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Place into a container with a lid and refrigerate until ready to use.
3) Place the egg halves onto a platter. Put the egg yolk mixture into a piping bag and use the star tip to pipe into the egg halves (I just used a spoon instead of a piping bag) and add a tiny dollop of the chipotle aioli. Refrigerate until ready to serve.




I made these for my husband because I am unable to eat chipotle in adobo.  He said he liked the smokiness of the chipotle with the deviled egg.  SteakNPotatoesKindaGurl put crab on hers, but he wrinkled his nose at the thought of that, so I just stuck with the aioli.  This was the easiest dish at our super bowl party and everyone liked them. 

1 comment: