Friday, February 1, 2013

Egg Sandwiches with Goat Cheese and Prosciutto

It is time for another recipe swap, and this time, I got our host Sarah from A Taste of Home Cooking.  I was really excited because in all the time that we've been doing the swaps, I have only ever gotten something from Sarah once.  Please visit Sarah's blog to look through six years dishes she's made while blogging.

While looking through her blog, I came up with so many dishes that I basically meal-planned my two weeks of food around Sarah's blog.  We loved every dish that I made, so it was hard to choose between the three that I actually took pictures of, which one I should actually post.  I was going to post about the Chicken Tostadas with Avocado Salsa, but then one of the other bloggers from my food forum posted it as part of her Taco Tuesday series...so I'll save that one for another time.  I finally decided on these delicious breakfast sandwiches.

Egg sandwiches with Goat Cheese and Prosciutto
slightly adapted from A Taste of Home Cooking
Ingredients
4 ounces goat cheese, softened
2 teaspoons dried chives
4 eggs
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
4 medium rustic rolls, halved crosswise, lightly toasted
4 tablespoons pesto
4 ounces sliced prosciutto
Directions
1) In a medium bowl, combined the goat cheese and chives; set aside.
2) Heat the butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Crack each egg into the skillet, and lower the heat to medium-low. After about two minutes, flip the egg and sprinkle with salt. Turn off the heat but don’t move the pan. Residual heat from the pan will finish cooking the eggs without drying the out while you build the sandwiches.
3) Spread the cut sides of one half of each roll with the goat cheese mixture and one half of the roll with pesto. Top the bottom half with a fried egg, then sliced prosciutto. Top with the other half of the roll. Serve immediately.



I tried making these with a scrambled egg type mixture as Sarah recommended, but ended up with more egg on my plate than between the bread.  The second time I made these, the fried egg worked much better, although Jacob said he liked the taste of the scrambled eggs better.  I love the combination of pesto and goat cheese, so I thought that that would be a delicious addition.  I only used chives because I forgot to buy green onions, but I think the green onions would be amazing as well because I didn't really taste the chives in the goat cheese mixture.  These breakfast sandwiches are super tasty and only take about 10 minutes to cook, so it is a win-win dinner.  Can't wait to make these again in the future.  Stay tuned for the tostada recipe as well, it was amazing too!

Please click through the dishes below to find other delicious recipes.




6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed these. Love the addition of the pesto. Can't wait to see your other posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great Jenna!! I'm going to have to try them for breakfast very soon. Maybe this weekend! And you definitely need to make those tostadas...they were amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now I know what I'm making to use up the goat cheese in my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound great! I love goat cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could use something round, such as the lid of a mason jar, to get your scrambled eggs into a more solid shape, like in egg McMuffins! You've got me craving some goat cheese now!

    ReplyDelete