Thursday, February 14, 2013

Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes

Confession: this isn't the first time that I made this dish.  I made it while we were in Wyoming, but never took a picture. 

When I first met Sarah from A Taste of Homecooking on my food forum, I spent a lot of time on her blog and this was (and still is) the most popular recipe on her blog.  The first time I made it, I had never thought of making sloppy joes from scratch and it sounded much better than other sloppy joes.  Right now, I'm going through a kind of sloppy joe phase (is that even a real thing?) and think they're delicious, so I put this one back on the menu.

Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
barely adapted from A Taste of Home Cooking
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound ground beef
1 softball-sized onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
4 tablespoons steak sauce, such as A-1
1 cup beef stock
Salt and ground black pepper
4 dinner rolls
4 slices provolone

Directions:
1) In large skillet over medium-high heat add the oil and then brown the ground beef, about 5-6 minutes.
2) Add the onion and green pepper and cook another 3-4 minutes, until the vegetables start to get tender.
3) Stir in the steak sauce and beef stock, season with salt and pepper, bring up to a bubble and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed.
4)  Turn on broiler, and split open rolls and remove most of the soft insides of the bottom part of the bun, leaving a bed to hold the meat mixture. Put a slice of cheese on each top of bread.  Toast the rolls until browned and cheese is melted. Spoon in meat mixture.

I had these for lunch the next day and definitely think the meat got more flavorful while it sat in the fridge over night.  I thought these were really good and a great weeknight meal.   They are originally from Rachel Ray, so you know they're fast.  I didn't make a cheese sauce from Sarah's version because I remember the cheese sauce not being worth the hassle the first time that I made it.  I think just regular provolone is just as good, and is less fuss. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy you guys liked this - it's definitely the most popular recipe on my blog and people seem to have a ton of different ways of making it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I can't wait to make these. It looks amazing and easy!

    ReplyDelete