Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Reuben Burgers


I have to admit that I absolutely hate Reuben sandwiches.  There is just something about the meat and the marbled rye bread that I can't eat.  I've even tried making variations of the Reuben and still have not found a Reuben that I like.

Unfortunately, the Reuben is THE sandwich for my husband.  If we go out to eat and there is a Reuben on the menu, you don't even have to ask him what he's getting, you could pretty much order them for him.

Last week, I was meal planning and thought that this recipe looked like a great spin-off.  It had everything I liked from the Reuben while eliminating everything I couldn't stand.  So I thought I'd put it on the menu.



Reuben Burgers
Adapted from The Cookaholic Wife
Ingredients
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
1/2 white onion
1 tablespoon of olive oil
4 slices swiss cheese
1/2 cup cooked sauerkraut
4-5 tablespoons Thousand Island dressing
2 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
8 slices Jewish rye bread

Directions
1) Form the ground beef into long, rectangle shaped patties and sprinkle with garlic salt.
2) Add the sauerkraut to a small saucepan and warm over low heat.
3) Add the olive oil to a saute pan along with the onion and cook until onions are cooked through and soft.
4) In a small bowl, combine the Thousand Island dressing and the prepared horseradish.
5) Place the patties on the grill and cook for 6-8 minutes or until cooked through.
6) Toast the bread for the burgers.
7) Once the burgers are done, top with a slice of Swiss cheese and let melt over the burger.
8) Remove the burgers from the grill and set on a plate.
9) Spread the dressing and horseradish mixture on the insides of the bread, place the burger on one side, top with an onion slice and some of the prepared sauerkraut. Top with the other slice of bread and cut in half.
            





I loved these burgers.  I thought it brought to the table everything that I liked from the classic sandwich and enhanced it.  The best part is that Jacob loved it too.  I think that it was similar enough to the sandwich that Reuben needs were met.  So, we were both happy.

I used a horseradish sauce when making mine (because the grocery store didn't have regular horseradish) and unfortunately I couldn't taste much of the horseradish.  I like horseradish though, so next time I may increase the amount of horseradish in the sauce mixture.

The bread held up well with all the ingredients, but it is still messy.  I guess that is what it makes it great American food, right?  It isn't great unless you're licking your fingers afterwards. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment