Hot sandwiches are always an easy weeknight meal. Plus they are usually substantial enough to fill up my husband so that he doesn't need seconds.
I found this Chicken Philly Hoagy sandwich on the Sunny Side Up in San Diego and decided to give it a try.
adapted from Sunny Side Up in San Diego
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1/2 onion cut into thin strips
5 button mushrooms
1 red bell pepper
2-3 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1) I cooked the chicken in the crock pot. I threw it in at lunch with a bunch of Italian Seasonings and some chicken broth and they were ready to go when I got home from work.
2) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2) In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add your olive oil. When the pan is hot drop in the onions, mushrooms and peppers. Reduce the heat to low-medium. Cook until the onions start to turn gold brown about 10 minutes. Stir often. Half way through add the salt and pepper. *I added some of the cooking liquid from my crockpot which added more flavor as well*
3) Prepare the rolls by spreading mayonaisse on it and then putting the cheese on each roll. One night we put swiss and on leftover night I used up some pepper jack. I liked the spiciness of the pepper jack but both cheese were equally as good. Layer the chicken and then the onion/mushroom/pepper mix.
4) Place in the oven for about 10 minutes to get a nice baked crunch into the bread and melt the cheese over the sandwich fillings.
I loved these sandwiches. I loved the flavor of all the veggies and the chicken tasted amazing after simmering in the crock pot all day. I love fresh bakery rolls and these definitely hit the spot. We served these with a hearty side salad and were stuffed by the time dinner was over. I definitely recommend these sandwiches and the Sunny Side Up in San Diego blog. I got many meal inspirations from her and am excited to try her Pineapple Teriyaki Glazed Salmon this weekend.