Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Banana Bread

We were grocery shopping this week and I walked past a big sign that read "Bananas on sale for 20 cents a pound, great for Banana Bread!". 

I don't really like bananas.  I think it is a texture thing.  I try to pick one up every once in awhile, but always fail to eat the entire thing.  However, I love banana bread.  I guess anything is better when it is hidden inside something amazing.

I found a super easy recipe.  One that doesn't even call for a mixer.  I doubled the recipe and now have breakfast for a long time to go.

Banana Bread

Ingredients

  • 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

Directions

1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2) Mixed mashed bananas and butter in a large mixing bowl.
3) Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla.
4) Sprinkle in the baking soda and the salt.
5) Add flour and mix well.
Cook for 1 hour, yields one loaf.



I thought it tasted great.  I didn't mash the bananas too fine, so there are big chunks in there.  I also put a little extra vanilla just because I am a fan of the "imitation" vanilla flavoring.  This has inspired me to try other breakfast creations: muffins, maybe scones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment