Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Garlic Lime Shrimp Pasta


The theme to the recipe swap this time around was Seafood/Fish.  I received Garlic Lime Shrimp Pasta from Gourmet: Day to Day's Kevinslady. 

Jacob and I have been trying to eat more seafood/shrimp, but it is still a work in progress since seafood/shrimp have very fine lines between underdone and overdone.  I was excited about this recipe though because everything was already in my cabinets at home.  I didn't have to buy anything.

Garlic Lime Shrimp
adapted from Gourmet: Day to Day
Ingredients
Garlic lime shrimp:
1.5 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
5 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter (original recipe calls for 1/2 cup)
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 lb Hot cooked pasta (I used fusilli pasta instead of spaghetti noodles)

Flavored butter “finishing” sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 tablespoon feta cheese crumbled
1 clove of garlic minced
1/2 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon olive oil

Directions
1)  Combine all ingredients for the flavored butter finishing sauce and whisk well to combine. The softer the butter is, the easier it will be to combine the ingredients.  Cover and put in the fridge.
2) Start boiling the pasta you're using.
3) In a large skillet, saute the shrimp, garlic, salt in butter until the shrimp turn pink, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat once they become pink, so they don't overcook. Once shrimp are cooked add the flavored butter, coat shrimp. Next, stir in lime juice and parsley. Serve with pasta.
I liked this recipe a lot.  I love that the lime juice didn't seep into the shrimp and override the buttery shrimp flavor too.  I think that the flavored butter was good, but I definitely thought the dish needed some kind of cheese.  I think that sprinkling parmesean on the top may bump the dish up to the next level. 

My husband liked it a lot too, but said that the pasta wasn't right for this dish, which I agree.  I just feel that spaghetti gets way too messy and complicated and wanted something smaller.  But, looking back I think fettucine noodles may be the best choice since they are more substantial.  The fettucine noodles would probably hold up to the ingredients much better. 






2 comments:

  1. I am glad you liked it! I am always a fan of cheese so I can understand wanting to add some. I really like the pasta with linguine because it is a little more substantial, like you said.
    Glad I found your blog through this little swap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very good! I'd probably load it up with cheese too :)

    ReplyDelete