This sandwich was amazing. The red wine gave the mushrooms that little bit of extra flavor. Even through the mayonnaise you could taste the vegetables and the freshness. It was very filling and light. Jacob grumbled over the fact that it was meatless, but he did say it was good.
Grilled Veggie Sandwich- adapted from elliemonster2012 (allrecipes.com)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 cup sliced red bell peppers
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 portobello caps
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced
- 1 ciabatta loaf
- Rosemary sprigs
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Marinate the portobello caps in the red wine vinegar for about 25 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the grill for high heat.
- Brush vegetables with olive oil on each side. Brush grate with oil. Place bell peppers and zucchini closest to the middle of the grill, and set onion and squash pieces around them. Cook for about 3 minutes, turn, and cook for another 3 minutes. The peppers may take a bit longer. Remove from grill, and set aside.
- Spread some of the mayonnaise mixture on the cut sides of the bread, and sprinkle each one with feta cheese.