Friday, August 19, 2011

Corn and Black Bean Pizza

When my husband is out of the house on a work trip or mountain biking with his friends, I tend to plan dinners just for me.  Living in Wyoming has made him think that meat must be on every prepared entree or it is just a side, so when he's gone I like to indulge in meatless entrees.

I found this amazing Corn and Black Bean Pizza recipe on EatingWell.com.  I decided it looked super simple so I immediately put the ingredients on my shopping list. 

Corn and Black Bean Pizza-adapted from EatingWell.com
Ingredients
  • 1 can rotel with chiles
  • 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
  • 1 cup fresh corn kernels, (about 2 ears)
  • 1 pound prepared whole-wheat pizza dough
  • 1/3 cup barbeque sauce
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella, preferably smoked mozzarella
Directions

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Combine tomato, beans and corn in a medium bowl. Sprinkle cornmeal onto a large baking sheet. Stretch the dough into shape of pizza pan.
  • Place crust in oven and bake for approximately 5 minutes.
  • Take crust out of the oven. Spread barbecue sauce on it and quickly sprinkle with the tomato mixture and cheese. Place back into oven and cook until cheese is thoroughly melted (about 10 minutes).
Fresh from the oven

This pizza was irresistible.  The barbeque sauce was a perfect tangy complement to all of the toppings.  The Rotel tomatoes gave it a little bit of a kick with the chiles that was balanced by the cheese.  The only thing I would recommend is make sure your crust thickness is consistent.  I had problems with some parts having too much dough and not enough toppings.

It heated up great for lunch the next day, and is totally in my mind to make when J goes out of town again.


No comments:

Post a Comment