Friday, August 19, 2011

Mini-meatloaves

When I was a little kid, I used to have this poster with Bert and Ernie on it.  I think it just had random facts about them, but one of their favorite foods was meatloaf.  I used to ask my mom all the time to make 'Nernie's' food, which was meatloaf.
To this day I still love meatloaf.  But, not many other people in my family do.  One day I was watching 24 hour Restaurant Battle on Food Network and one of the teams made cupcake meatloaves.  I had never even thought of doing that, so here is my adapted version.

 Mini-Meatloaves-  adapted from All Recipes.com

Ingredients

  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • Italian seasoning
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pound ground turkey
Sauce- not shown in picture from Pioneer Woman's meatloaf
  • 1-1/2 cup Ketchup
  • 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
  • Tabasco To Taste
Directions-
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, cheese, oats and salt. Add the ground turkey, mixing well, and scoop into a pre-greased muffin pan.
    • The meatloaves don't rise like other things you bake, so it is okay to fill the muffin cup all the way up.
  3. In a separate small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard and tobasco. Stir thoroughly and spread over each meatloaf or heat on the stovetop and place on each meatloaf as it is eaten.  
  4. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes.
These make for the perfect portions.  They are satisfying, you don't leave the table wanting to have all of them.  Even though I used ground turkey instead of ground beef the meatloaves were still moist and didn't dry out.  The sauce was a perfect compliment to the meatloaf, a match kind of like Bert and Ernie. :)
  • One thing I have been thinking about doing is putting a piece of turkey bacon in the muffin pan before putting the meat in.  That way it would be even more like the Pioneer Woman's bacon wrapped meatloaf.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment