Thursday, April 19, 2012

Blueberry Banana Walnut Muffins

Every once in awhile, I feel adventurous when it comes to breakfast.  Usually, we eat cereal or oatmeal and just get ready and go to work.  However, I love banana bread, so I try to make that every once in awhile.

I had planned on making Nutella Banana Bread, mostly because my husband hasn't ever tried Nutella, but when we had leftover blueberries, I decided to try that instead.  When I googled Blueberry Banana Bread, a blog that I knew popped up, so I knew I had to try that recipe...especially since I had never made a recipe from her blog before.

Blueberry Banana Walnut Muffins
slightly adapted from Mrs Regueiro's Plate
Ingredients
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
4 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup buttermilk*
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh blueberries (no need to thaw)
1 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and halved into small pieces

*If you don't have buttermilk on hand, you can make it by combining one tablespoon of white vinegar, and filling a measuring cup up the rest of the way with milk.  Wait five minutes and then use in the recipe.



Directions
1) Put oven rack on lowest position.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of 2 loaf pans, or muffin tins.
2) Cream butter and sugar till fluffy. Stir in eggs until well blended.
3) Stir in bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
4) Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt until just moistened.
5) Fold in the blueberries.
6) Divide batter evenly between the two loaf pans, or scoop batter in to muffin tins, making sure they aren't more than two-thirds of the way full.
7) Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan.
8)  Loosen sides and remove bread from pans. Cool completely before eating, about 2 hours.


I loved these muffins.  I loved the crunch of the walnuts in between the bites of fruit packed muffin.  I thought they had great flavor and yet they will still incredibly moist.  If you turn this into a muffin recipe, it makes about 30 muffins, which is enough to freeze for later, or surprise your coworkers with a great breakfast as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment