Friday, April 13, 2012

Mexican Pulled Chicken Stuffed Peppers

I have a friend that recently found out that she had a wheat allergy.  Upon doing some research, she found out that Paleo diets are the best for those with a wheat allergy, so I found some Paleo sites that had recipes that she could eat.  Some recipes sounded outside my comfort zone, and so did some of the ingredients.  I mean, we can't even find frozen cranberries in my town, where the heck am I supposed to find chia seeds, right?

Some recipes though sounded doable though, and even though I didn't have any interest in going totally Paleo with her, I promised I'd try a meal.  I found this recipe and thought I should make it: we loved stuffed peppers and the filling was something new.  If this recipe is indicative of eating Paleo, I think it wouldn't be too hard...except for finding the ingredients of course. 


Mexican Pulled Chicken Stuffed Peppers
barely adapted from Life As A Plate
Ingredients
4 large bell peppers, any color is fine
3 chicken breasts
1 chopped jalapeno
1 can of diced tomatoes (12 ounces)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup finely minced onion (I used 1/2 an onion)
1/4 c. chopped green peppers (I used one whole pepper)
2 cups salsa
shredded cheese
1 tsp. salt
2. tsp. onion powder
1/2 tps. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/2-1 teaspoon ground cumin, depending on your preference
*Instead of using individual spices, you could just add a taco seasoning packet

Directions
1) Put whole chicken breasts and all ingredients (minus the four bell peppers) in crockpot and stir and set on low for 6-8 hours.
2)When it’s finished or after at least four hours in, shred chicken using two forks until it’s all complete. Mix well.
3) Using a sharp knife, cut the top of the pepper off and pull out all the inside ribs and seeds.
4) Run under cold water to wash and remove remaining seeds inside.
5) Stuff peppers with chicken mixture, cover with some salsa (so they don’t dry out) and bake at 350 for 20 minutes until pepper is soft. (Ours took about an hour, I don't know if this is from living at altitude or oven inconsistencies though).
6) Top with shredded cheese and the salsa.  Top with sour cream, if desired.



I think that these were excellent.  Since the majority of the flavors developed in the crockpot, they were deep and delicious.  The peppers were a great vessel for it too.  Just keep an eye on the peppers so that you're not eating really undone peppers like we did the first night.  You definitely don't miss the fact that there aren't carbs in this meal.  


1 comment:

  1. This sounds, and looks, really good! Any excuse to use my crockpot. :)

    ReplyDelete