Thursday, April 12, 2012

California Egg Bake

When we first got married, I was a really bad judge at how much produce we'd need for a week.  If I had two recipes that called for onions, I'd buy two full onions.  Then, at the end of the week, when I only used one of the onions, I'd just chuck the onion into the trash.  Over time, I've gotten better at judging, but every once in awhile it still happens.

At the end of last week, I had leftover green onions, a leftover avocado, and a leftover tomato.  I remembered that I had found the recipe for an egg bake that contained a few of these things, and when I looked at it again, lo and behold, I had everything but the cream cheese.

California Egg Bake
slightly adapted from Skip to My Lou
Ingredients
8 eggs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
3 cups shredded Jack cheese
1 large ripe tomato, diced
1 large avocado, cubed
3/4 cup green onions, diced
4 oz cream cheese cut into small chunks
1/2 cup milk


Directions
1) Prepare 8×8 dish with nonstick spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
2) Mix eggs with milk and seasonings, beat well.
3) Layer 2 cups Jack cheese. Layer remaining ingredients: avocados, tomatoes, green onions, cream cheese. Cover with remaining cheese and cover all with egg/milk mixture. 
4) Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Enjoy


This egg bake was very flavorful.  We very rarely put much in our eggs besides cheese and meat, so it was nice to try a different flavor profile with all of the produce in the recipe.  My husband thought it was really cheesy, and I agree, so if you don't want the extra cheese, you could easily cut it down to 2 cups of cheese total.  This would also be great with any type of colored peppers, jalapenos, or even shredded potatoes in it, if you have any of those leftover as well. 

1 comment: