Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Southwestern Quiche

I introduced my husband to quiche shortly after we got married.  It seems like a super simple meal with such a classy name (that sounds like you spent hours concocting it).  However, sometimes I'm a little uninspired when it comes to making a quiche.  I fall back on the same Allrecipes.com recipe that I have made since I was in college, which is great, but sometimes change is needed. 

When I saw this recipe, I figured it fit the bill perfectly.  It was flavors that we already knew, thrown into a dish that we already loved. 

Southwestern Quiche
slightly adapted from Plain Chicken
Ingredients
1 pound ground chicken
1 clove of minced garlic
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1 can (10 oz) Rotel tomatoes, drained (adjust spice level using the "heat" from Rotel)
4 eggs
1/2 cup Ranch dressing
1/2 cup sour cream
2/3 cup milk
2-9-inch unbaked deep dish pie shell

Directions
1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) In a large skillet, cook chicken with garlic until well browned, stirring frequently. Drain off grease and set aside.
3) Whisk together eggs, Ranch dressing, sour cream and milk.
4) Add sausage, cheese and Rotel. Stir to combine. Pour egg mixture into prepared pie crust. Bake 1 hour. Allow quiche to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.





When I took my first bite, I realized that I didn't get the mild Rotel when I was at the store.  The quiche packed a little bit of a punch.  It was surprisingly really good.  I kept commenting to my husband about how it far surpassed my expectations.  Even though ours was spicy (I'm a wuss when it comes to spices), the flavors all still really worked together to create a dish that was both spicy and creamy. 

We enjoyed it that meal and several times for lunch.  It was just a dish that we didn't seem to get tired of.   I think my next quiche adventure will be making my own crust.  I still haven't ventured away from the frozen pie shells from the grocery store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment